The History of Chocolates and the New Chocolate Trend of the 21st Century by Anahita Irani
Chocolate is happiness that you can eat …. Do you agree? And people who enjoy a good piece of chocolate are truly happy people.
How far has the chocolate come! From luxury to necessity! Would you like to know the history of chocolates?
Fun fact: Cocoa was originally consumed as a beverage long before it was transformed into a food.
In 450 BC:
The Mayans enjoyed the cocoa beans as a bitter beverage, mixed with spices and corn meal. This ‘Drink of the Gods’ was used during rituals and as a medicine.
In 15th Century:
The Aztecs, besides using drinking chocolate as a refreshing beverage, used cocoa beans as a currency and also as an aphrodisiac for Aztec soldiers.
In 16th Century:
The Spanish brought chocolate to Europe. They were not happy with the bitter chocolate drink, so sugar was added as sweetener.
In 19th Century:
Joseph Fry invented the first solid chocolate bar, by adding cocoa butter to cocoa powder. Henri Nestle designed the milk chocolate bar in 1875 by adding condensed milk to solid chocolate, and Rodolphe Lindt invented a machine to mix chocolate to a perfectly smooth consistency in 1879.
In 20th Century:
Chocolates were evolving then, from different types of elements being infused with chocolates, to different chocolate products. Chocolate in various forms was an important ingredient in various products like cakes, desserts, drinking chocolate, ice creams etc. The Black Forest cake originated in the 20th Century.
In 21st Century:
Now chocolates are consumed world over. New chocolate treats are getting launched almost every day. The biggest preference being dark chocolates and sugar free chocolates for health reasons. Coconut milk chocolates are also trending in the chocolate industry!
21st Century sees a shift to Artisan chocolates produced by small chocolate makers–artisans–who understand their crafts while using sustainable and ethically sourced quality ingredients. Artisan chocolates are designed with care and supervision of a knowledgeable chocolatier, who could be defined as an artisan.
One such Artisan chocolate brand is BeeTee’s Melt Chocolates. You can check their official website here. These chocolate bars are 100% vegan, gluten-free and soy-free!
It is made from cacao beans, cocoa butter, palm sugar, and other natural ingredients!!
BeeTee’s Melt Chocolates are launched in 3 varieties:
1. DARK CHOCOLATE – Cacao beans, palm sugar, cocoa butter 72%
2. COCONUT MILK CHOCOLATE – Coconut milk, cacoa beans, cocoa butter, coconut sugar 54%
3. MILK CHOCOLATE – Cacao beans, brown sugar, cocoa butter, milk 48%
What’s unique about these Chocolates
1. Each chocolate bar has a rich, beautiful, delightful taste which is irresistible. Even the 72% dark chocolate is not over the top bitter or chalky; it has a likeable blend of sweet and bitter.
2. These chocolates are a rich source of antioxidants.
3. With a shelf life up to 12 months, can be stored easily.
4. Its free from refined sugar, hence can be consumed guilt-free.
5. The brand aims at being a sustainable business model with zero wastage and zero impact on the environment.
6. All chocolate products are completely vegetarian.
So, if you are a genuine chocolate lover then BeeTee’s Melt Chocolates is definitely what you should try. A lower calorie chocolate without over sweetened refined sugar.
Blog by Anahita Irani